As a result of the mobile-centric world we’re living in, marketers have had to allocate their budgets differently and have had to answer a challenging question: “how to prove your marketing ROI”? In 2015, mobile ad spend will increase by about 50%. And, by 2017, mobile ad spend will make up about 70% of all digital ad spend. However, most marketers are not measuring mobile call conversions, resulting in a gross miscalculation of their return on investment.
Because it is so easy to click to call or to complete a mobile web form, this increased mobile usage has changed how leads are converted. Traditionally, sales and marketing have had a little lag time before they had to contact a new lead. When people use a mobile device to contact your business, though they want immediate assistance. Your marketing and sales teams can no longer wait days or even hours to reach out to an inbound lead. Smartphones have conditioned your customers and prospects to expect immediate results, no matter where they are in the purchasing process.
Attributing the phone calls conversions that come in from mobile has become an ongoing challenge for marketers across the board and proving marketing ROI and become difficult.
If you’re not tracking and optimizing phone calls for each stage of the customer journey, you’re collecting incomplete conversion data, misattributing, inaccurately calculating ROI and wasting ad spend. If you’re only measuring landing conversion from landing page web forms, you may be misattributing almost half of your conversions.
#1 | ATTRIBUTION
According to DialogTech, “Conversion rates vary widely based on factors such as industry or product, DialogTech found the average web form conversion rate for landing pages to be 2.4%. [They] also found the average phone-through rate (PTR) to be 2.3%. Combining the two conversion paths, the result is an average total conversion rate of 4.7%. Without call attribution, 49% of conversions could be missed of misattributed to the wrong source.”
As the investment into mobile advertising continues to grow, the PTR ‘blind spot’ will grow, too. If mobile call conversions aren’t measured, marketers will never be able to accurately prove their investments are worthwhile.
#2 | PERSONALIZATION
Successful marketing – especially successful mobile marketing – is all about relevance. Prospects are looking for solutions, products, and services that make will make their lives that benefit them without forcing them to make major adjustments. According to Janrain & Harris Interactive, 74% of online consumers get frustrated with websites when content, offers, ads and promotions have nothing to do with their interest.
In order to compel your prospects to click your ads, read your content, sign up for a free trial or call you for a demo, you need to personalize your outreach. This concept also applies to the phone call.
Prospects who take the time to pick up the phone and call you want a personalized experience in which the spotlight is on only them. Offering this kind of personalized, dedicated customer experience will undoubtedly help your business convert more callers into customers.
You can make the phone call a more relevant experience by tracking the following:
- Marketing campaign that prompted the call
- Referrer information that promoted the call
- Keywords used to find your business online
- The caller’s geographical location
- Webpages viewed before calling
By tracking this data, you can create a better customer experience and help prospects connect with the agents best suited to convert them into a paying customer.
#3 | DISPOSITION
73% of mobile searches result in leads. While this is great for business, it presents an interesting challenge for marketers looking to prove ROI. Some mobile interactions quite commonly result in a purchase, like buying a new app, a song or an e-book. More legitimate purchases, like a new automobile, a computer, or a major appliance will include more than just mobile touch points.
When leads convert by calling, marketers need the same level of analysis to understand what happens as they do with desktop-exclusive purchases. How did they find you? What other pages on your site did they visit? What prompted them to call? How did that call go?
Call recording gives marketers the ability to accurately gauge call quality. If the person your caller spoke with made a personal connection, identified a pain point, or just made a really great case for your products/services/solutions, you’ll have this information on hand. This will help you improve future campaigns, marketing messaging and how your team responds to inbound phone call leads. Ultimately improving your marketing ROI.